Welcome to the Visual Literacies – Exploring Critical Issues project home page. The project seeks to examine and explore issues surrounding visual literacy in regard to theory and praxis. Perspectives are sought from all disciplines, professions and vocations where visual literacy plays a part.
The project will critically engage with a number of core themes:
- the concept and tools of visual literacy
- the history of visual literacy
- children and visual literacy
- visual literacy and cultural identity
- visual literacy as therapy
- visual literacy in literature, television and film
- visual literacy as a social semiotic
- teaching visual literacy
Related themes will also be identified for development and exploration. Out of our deliberations it is anticipated that a series of related cross-context research projects will develop.